You have discovered that your dog is missing. What are you supposed to do? The first 24 hours after your dog becomes missing is the most crucial period. If you are unable to find your dog after 24 hours, there is a possibility that you are going to lose it forever. Remember that as more time passes by, your chances of finding your dog dwindles drastically.
It will help if you have given your dog the best dog stuff that you can find. For example, you may use a reliable dog tag that will place your dog’s details if it gets lost. There are always people who will be willing to give back your pet. They may contact you immediately so you know that your dog is in safe hands. If your dog has gotten all the right nutrients from the best dog food, it will be able to withstand being away from your safe home for a certain period of time.
These are the things that you can do when you lose your dog:
- You can ask people to start looking for the dog in different areas. For example, you may want to check inside your house because it may have gotten stuck somewhere while your partner checks nearby places where your dog go to.
- If your dog has just gotten lost, it may not be far from where you live. Do not forget to scout your whole neighbourhood. You may find your dog resting someplace. You can call your dog’s name and bring something that you know your dog will love so that it will come running back to you.
- Allow your neighbours to know that your dog is missing. Your neighbours may be willing to help you in searching or they may give you some vital information about your dog’s possible whereabouts.
- If your dog has a microchip, you can contact the company and let them know that your dog is missing. They will help you in tracing your dog. Just make sure that all of your contact details are up to date otherwise they will find it hard to contact you with the information you need.
- Create some flyers. You can place the flyers in allowed places along your neighbourhood and in other surrounding areas if in case your dog has traversed that far. You can also give a reward in order to prompt people to also search for your dog. Do not place an amount that you cannot pay though. You have to be honest about the reward that you can provide.
- Go to some vets within the area. There is always a possibility that your dog has been in an emergency and was rushed to a local veterinarian. You can always ask the vet if there is a dog brought in the clinic that fits your dog’s descriptions. You should also check animal shelters because the dog catcher may have gotten your dog.
There are times when posting through your social media accounts will work especially if you are desperate in finding your dog. Do not underestimate the power of people to share the news.